Nova game thread 12/30/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XavierBob

Re: Nova game thread 12/30/19

Postby XavierBob » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:47 pm

I really think the best attribute of this team is effort and tenacity. Hard to watch at times, head scratching play but man they sick with it and play hard always. Hoping that will serve them well in the rest of league play
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:00 pm

What I like in this game was Freemantle came out tentative and had a few misses around the rim but overall played a decent game. One thing I noticed is how well the Nova team passes the ball. X has so many passes that don't hit their teammates in a shooting position or they have to reach to get a pass. The other thing I like is that the coaches can show KyKy the difference in him from the first half to the second half and how he was more aggressive in the second.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:27 pm

XavierBob wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:47 pm
I really think the best attribute of this team is effort and tenacity. Hard to watch at times, head scratching play but man they sick with it and play hard always. Hoping that will serve them well in the rest of league play
Normally,

A 17-0 run at Nova translates to a 25 point loss. X was down 5 with 42 seconds to go. Two biggest errors in the game: Goodin trying to force a pass to Ty, which was stolen, down 6 with 3+ minute to go. Then, Marshall takes a step back three when KyKy was wide open on the wing. I think it was a six point game under 3 minutes when that occurred.

Obviously, Q didn't run a good point with 1 t.o. and 4 assists, but he was 3-5 from the field and played tough D. He has been playing very well, and had a dud tonight. It happens. If Naji eliminates 70% of his threes, and just takes 12 foot jumpers and drives to the hole, he is virtually unstoppable. I like Carter, but he does not give them enough production in 33 minutes per game. KyKy and Freemantle should take away some of those minutes. I'm glad this game is out of the way. This isn't Nova's best team, but they were good enough to beat Kansas, and their freshmen will get better and better. I hate moral victories, but this was not a crushing defeat which we grew accustomed to in the Mack era.

A 6 point loss to a top 10 team will probably improve their metrics. X will beat the Johnnies by 8 on Sunday.
XavierTragedy

Postby XavierTragedy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:56 pm

Not a total wash tonight, but I think they are capable of playing netter. I six point loss to a team playing as well as Villanova isn't bad. Just hate the team. Agree with the assessments on Carter. Limited on O and really exposed on D tonight. Did have a few nice rebounds on D.

Maybe I am missing something, but where was Bryce Moore tonight? Am I off by thinking he deserved more time?
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:15 pm

Lose by 20 or lose by 6 still a loss. 1-11 from 3 pretty much tells the story. Also too many charge calls at critical times of the game. Fortunately only took (11) 3’s. If they don’t start shooting 3’ 𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 will have a tough time winning in conference. Nova didn’t shoot 3’s well either holding them to 28%.(6) more 3’s was too much to overcome. (11) offensive rebounds definitely a factor. Tandy has to get more looks. Hopefully I am not too negative but just disappointed because they didn’t play better.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:27 pm
XavierBob wrote:
Normally,

A 17-0 run at Nova translates to a 25 point loss. X was down 5 with 42 seconds to go. Two biggest errors in the game: Goodin trying to force a pass to Ty, which was stolen, down 6 with 3+ minute to go. Then, Marshall takes a step back three when KyKy was wide open on the wing. I think it was a six point game under 3 minutes when that occurred.

Obviously, Q didn't run a good point with 1 t.o. and 4 assists, but he was 3-5 from the field and played tough D. He has been playing very well, and had a dud tonight. It happens. If Naji eliminates 70% of his threes, and just takes 12 foot jumpers and drives to the hole, he is virtually unstoppable. I like Carter, but he does not give them enough production in 33 minutes per game. KyKy and Freemantle should take away some of those minutes. I'm glad this game is out of the way. This isn't Nova's best team, but they were good enough to beat Kansas, and their freshmen will get better and better. I hate moral victories, but this was not a crushing defeat which we grew accustomed to in the Mack era.

A 6 point loss to a top 10 team will probably improve their metrics. X will beat the Johnnies by 8 on Sunday.
to be accurate that same pass worked all game, including after that TO, but in this case Q pass into the post was open and then Saddiq Bey jumped the passing lane for the steal. BTW X was down 8 at that point but the real killer was the O rebound on the Samuels missed three which was kicked out to Gillespie for the three to go up 11. Bey made a three but the pass to him the guy, I think was Samuels, took a stutter step as he was passing the ball but a travel was not called. The thing about this game is you could point out three or four things in the last ten minutes which could have changed the game
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:46 pm

Nice catch on that uncalled travel MM. was at a sports bar in Siesta Key with a room filled with Ohio vacationers roaring on our Muskies. Several former HS talented players and one retired ref, we were all yelling “he travelled!” But calls will be missed. Bottom line is they shot it decently from the perimeter and we chucked up bricks. We were stronger inside. Freemantle and Ty missed a few close in that they normally would make. Plus, as mentioned, no quit in our guys. Long season, lick our wounds and move on. I was proud of the effort. Many more wars to fight.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:57 pm

muskieman wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
XavierBob wrote:
Normally,

to be accurate that same pass worked all game, including after that TO, but in this case Q pass into the post was open and then Saddiq Bey jumped the passing lane for the steal. BTW X was down 8 at that point but the real killer was the O rebound on the Samuels missed three which was kicked out to Gillespie for the three to go up 11. Bey made a three but the pass to him the guy, I think was Samuels, took a stutter step as he was passing the ball but a travel was not called. The thing about this game is you could point out three or four things in the last ten minutes which could have changed the game
to be accurate that same pass worked all game, including after that TO, but in this case Q pass into the post was open and then Saddiq Bey jumped the passing lane for the steal.
So you're saying if it is open once, twice, or three times, it will be open the 4th? The fact that X did pass into the post a fair amount should make Q even more vigilante in understanding that a defender will see the pattern, and anticipate the pass. If it was thrown higher, it probably wouldn't have been stolen. It was just a bad pass, pure and simple. It happens, and to your point, was one of several things which derailed a comeback.

I still think Marshall's ridiculous step back three, which had a probability of about 15% or less of going in, when a much better 3 point shooter was wide open was the key. Looking at twitter, several objective analysts agree. One said (can't remember who),"X comes down by six and misses an off balanced three. Nova comes down and calmly hits one." The gist of the rest was that's the difference between winning and losing in close ball games. Spot on, IMO.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:46 pm
Nice catch on that uncalled travel MM. was at a sports bar in Siesta Key with a room filled with Ohio vacationers roaring on our Muskies. Several former HS talented players and one retired ref, we were all yelling “he travelled!” But calls will be missed. Bottom line is they shot it decently from the perimeter and we chucked up bricks. We were stronger inside. Freemantle and Ty missed a few close in that they normally would make. Plus, as mentioned, no quit in our guys. Long season, lick our wounds and move on. I was proud of the effort. Many more wars to fight.
Banners said X missed 16 of 29 labs/dunks. That's startling. I think the elephant in the room is Jones. For someone who attempts a lab or dunk in 70% of his attempts, he has a very underwhelming fg percentage (52%). The other 30% are 4 foot half hooks. He is very good against smaller or inferior competition, but misses a lot of "gimmies." He also misses a dunk about every 2 or 3 games, because of an insatiable need to flex for the cameras after a monstrous dunk. He is an outstanding rebounder and good defender, but his inconsistency and poor free throw shooting makes him a liability in close games on the offensive end.

Steele was upset during his post game presser, as normal, after a loss. However, he needs to put his money where his mouth is, and rein Marshall in on his threes. That and too many turnovers is what keeps him from being an elite player. Best defender in the conference, hands down. His poor decision making has been documented ad nauseum though, and rightfully so.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:57 pm
muskieman wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:

Normally,

to be accurate that same pass worked all game, including after that TO, but in this case Q pass into the post was open and then Saddiq Bey jumped the passing lane for the steal.
So you're saying if it is open once, twice, or three times, it will be open the 4th? The fact that X did pass into the post a fair amount should make Q even more vigilante in understanding that a defender will see the pattern, and anticipate the pass. If it was thrown higher, it probably wouldn't have been stolen. It was just a bad pass, pure and simple. It happens, and to your point, was one of several things which derailed a comeback.

I still think Marshall's ridiculous step back three, which had a probability of about 15% or less of going in, when a much better 3 point shooter was wide open was the key. Looking at twitter, several objective analysts agree. One said (can't remember who),"X comes down by six and misses an off balanced three. Nova comes down and calmly hits one." The gist of the rest was that's the difference between winning and losing in close ball games. Spot on, IMO.
I understand your aversion to being corrected Ah. Heck, it probably happens all too often in your life but some of us just want to set the record straight and help you become more perfect. I point you to the next time that the same pass came from the same part on the floor and which was successful. Why? because Jones was one on one and no one came to help as in the previous play which resulted in a TO. Sure you can say if the pass had been higher it would not have been intercepted but it could have been lost out of bound when Jones couldn't catch it, maybe if Jones would have come to the pass as players are taught to do but then we would be turning it onto Jones and you would not have been able to take your shot at Q. Now if you can tell all us poor dumb fans the player that had a perfect game on either side then we could just sit back and say why aren't the other players like him which I am sure you do in your little circle group of experts do after every game. AH every miscue could be considered as a derailment of a comeback like the fact that we traded baskets for a good part of the 2nd half could be considered a derailment including the trading of a 2 for a 3. We could also say that every O rebound that Nova gathered was a derailment especially when they lead to a made three after a missed three. X took the score from 12 to 6 a number of times so each time why didn't we make a three or a two instead of miss a shot whether a bunny at the rim or an elbow shot which nova made all night. We love you micromanaging of each game but we hope that someday you will be happy and understand that no team is perfect on the other team's home court. As for the step-back three, I'd rather see that then the 30 foot shot early in the clock shot. I think that ragging on the player that basically kept X in the game in the second half is rich, Did you hear Wright in the huddle say they are going to Naji and we have to look for that! Then Naji came out and scored a number of times down the floor. Now would I liked him to have taken the ball to the rim...yes I would have but had he made it we all would be saying he is so good on that step back...well maybe all of us but you. Finally, if you read through the post you will see how many times I agreed with you and believe me it was not easy but I call it as I see them.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”