Joe's first brackatology

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Joe's first brackatology

Postby muskieman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:23 pm

X last team in,
ud first team out.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-man

Re: Joe's first brackatology

Postby X-man » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:02 pm

If anyone was on the fence about Lunardi's competence as a bracketologist, this latest version should help you decide. The guy is worthless.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Katz has X at #15 in his top 36. How they go from that to being the last one in the field of 68, I don’t know.
#WHYNOTX?
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:18 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:52 pm
Katz has X at #15 in his top 36. How they go from that to being the last one in the field of 68, I don’t know.
Your comment is not completely reasonable. There will be many low and mid major conference champs that will be in the Dance who will actually be rated much lower than the last teams in or out from major conferences.
X-man

Postby X-man » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:55 am

harryfe wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:18 pm
kyzrex wrote:
Your comment is not completely reasonable. There will be many low and mid major conference champs that will be in the Dance who will actually be rated much lower than the last teams in or out from major conferences.
I'm pretty sure that the 68 teams in the Dance will include more than 15 major conference teams. If so, X would not be the last (major conference) team taken if it were anywhere near 15th overall. And it's not just Katz that has X ranked. Virtually all pre-season rankings (as of now) have X ranked. In fact even ESPN has X at #20. Here is an admittedly small sample I found this morning: NBC (17), SI (23), Goodman (21), SBNation (29). USAToday did not have us ranked but they haven't updated their ranking since April. Whenever others have updated, X is moved up (probably because of both transfers added or early draft entrants leaving other teams). Lunardi is an outlier.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:29 am

harryfe wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:18 pm
kyzrex wrote:
There are 36 at-large bids handed out. Does Lombardi really believe that a team ranked in the top 25 by virtually everyone would be the last of those 36 to make it in? That’s not being completely reasonable in my book. Not saying he has an anti-X bias, only saying I don’t see how he makes that determination.
#WHYNOTX?
rickf

Postby rickf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:12 pm

Definitely not logical or computable
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:05 pm

I'm not saying Lunardi is correct but it is not unreasonable for someone to wait for proof before assuming a program with a 2nd year coach and a disappointing season the prior year is ready for the top 25.

X certainly looks as though they have all the pieces to be great but decision making was a huge problem for most of last year. If that continues to be an issue, X will not realize its potential. Additionally, a highly ranked recruiting class could certainly disappoint. X has a lot to prove but the potential is certainly there.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Preseason rankings and projections are worthless.
X-man

Postby X-man » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:34 pm

madness31 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:05 pm
I'm not saying Lunardi is correct but it is not unreasonable for someone to wait for proof before assuming a program with a 2nd year coach and a disappointing season the prior year is ready for the top 25.

X certainly looks as though they have all the pieces to be great but decision making was a huge problem for most of last year. If that continues to be an issue, X will not realize its potential. Additionally, a highly ranked recruiting class could certainly disappoint. X has a lot to prove but the potential is certainly there.
Palm just put out his bracketology. X is a 7-seed.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”