Stream Xavier - Spain Tour

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
olsingledigit

Re: Stream Xavier - Spain Tour

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:18 pm

thanks for the correction
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Any updates on Tandy. Hopefully nothing serious
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:06 pm

I didn't get to watch, and I don't know how good the competition was, but it was good to see the box score (which gave limited info), showing the four freshmen (Ramsey was hurt) scoring 30 cumulatively. Miles lead the group with 9, while KyKy had 5. I expected the reverse. I dread to see how many treys Marshall and Goodin took. I hope they shoot 60% fewer threes than they did last year and ALL in rhythm ones. However, knowing that they shot 28 total as a team gives me an uneasy feeling, especially when they only shot 25%. Steele has to nip this in the bud and demand disciplined shot selection. It definitely cost X several games, and possibly a tourney bid last year.
Last edited by Anti-Homer on Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Michigan Musketeer wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:26 pm
Any updates on Tandy. Hopefully nothing serious
Cramp in the leg. The gym was very hot and humid. Ramsey hurt before going to Spain was in a boot.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:55 pm

per Banners on the Parkway

Box Score thoughts:

- In a little under 20 minutes, Jason Carter piled up 10/8/2 and fit in with Xavier's desire to run, leading the break himself a couple of times.

- Dieonte Miles is all energy, all the time. He got 9 points and 4 boards, but grabbed 3 of them on offense.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:11 pm

I wonder what the average age is of the players on the other team?
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Did not actually watch the game so possibly I am way off here. Yet I did watch a few highlights posted on Twitter. From what I saw, the Spain Allstars were a whole lot like a pick-up team on a Saturday afternoon down at the Friars club. If they were the Allstars, I'd cringe to imagine the rest of that league. Hopefully gm #2 offers a bit more of a challenge. Maybe they wanted a cupcake to open the trip? Anyone know if the next two foes will be a step up in talent level? Terrific experience for the team in a wonderful foreign setting no matter the quality of these games, so it's a win-win situation to be sure...
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:28 am

X-lucidity wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:50 pm
Did not actually watch the game so possibly I am way off here. Yet I did watch a few highlights posted on Twitter. From what I saw, the Spain Allstars were a whole lot like a pick-up team on a Saturday afternoon down at the Friars club. If they were the Allstars, I'd cringe to imagine the rest of that league. Hopefully gm #2 offers a bit more of a challenge. Maybe they wanted a cupcake to open the trip? Anyone know if the next two foes will be a step up in talent level? Terrific experience for the team in a wonderful foreign setting no matter the quality of these games, so it's a win-win situation to be sure...
Georgia Tech beat them 83-47.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:54 pm

58-41 at the half X. Wearing the whitest unis I have ever seen. The first quarter was terrible. X was down 29-22 at the end of the first. The refs were calling fouls for everything, but X got caught off guard at the beginning. Spain was very aggressive and quick and turned the running game against us. In the second quarter we really came to life. Some of the frosh are really putting on a show. Especially Ky Ky and Freemantle. Both of those guys are going to be terrific. Ky Ky hit about three threes and a couple of free ones and maybe more. Freemantle also scored well and played great D and rebounded. Miles got some good minutes and showed he definitely has great talent. He just needs to learn the game a little better and learn to shoot free throws. He is a heck of an athlete though.

The second half should be fun.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:42 pm

109-74 final. We have a lot of options. We still have lots to improve on, but another impressive win. The announcers said today's Spain team had a lot more talent than the first team, so the win was more impressive. Everyone got in. The high score is partially because of the 24 second clock, but this X team plays very fast, so I expect a lot of scoring during the season. Naji was banging the threes today and everything else. Scruggs had a much better game than the first game. Freemantle was unstoppable in the second half. That kid is going to be really good. Ky Ky played well and hit three threes in a row (I think) and one point.

Free throws could be better and I noticed in both games that X stepped on the out of bounds line on the side while trying to line up a three. This will be an issue for a lot of D-1 teams this season since the three point line is farther out and thus closer to the out of bounds line.

On to the next game. What a great year for this trip to happen. I expect X to substitute a lot this season right out of the box.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”