Can X make the FF???

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
jct1941

Re: Can X make the FF???

Postby jct1941 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:19 pm

I know that I will never change the minds of some (if not all posters) but as I recall some facts that must have been forgotten. Mack became the all time wins leader in Xavier's history. He went 28-6 last basketball year. He won the Big East regular season for the first time. Even he led the team to its first number seed. The players lost the Fls. St game with turnovers and an air ball three attempt in the final minutes. Now if that leads some to believe he QUIT on the team so be it. Now, that led to 28 million contract and I doubt that any poster would not have taken that. I just don't see why we all can't see that. Go Xavier!
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:58 pm

Travis will Steele our way to our 1st Championship Game. Let's not just think Final 4. Once we get there, nobody will be happy til we play in the Finals - and when that happens who will be happy to lose in the Finals. Let's just win it all.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:05 am

I have no idea what to expect from Steele but it was unlikely that Mack would ever lead Xavier to a final 4. He was a very good recruiter and improved as a coach over the years but defensively the team was always bad under Mack. Offensively the team was inconsistent. He was terrible at adjustments so it was likely that he would be outcoached in the tournament before getting to the final 4. It was always possible that the players would find a way to get there with a mediocre coach but probabilities rise with better coaching.

Wisconsin was not a bad match-up for X. X lost that game because of terrible decision making by Mack. Giving the ball to a freshman who struggled with decision making all game on the last possession was criminally stupid.

I disagree last year was X's best chance at making the final 4 though after the upsets, the path was open to go beyond the final 4.

The senior year of Tu and Frease was another golden opportunity lost for a deep tournament run.

Mack had a great record at Xavier but he overachieved 1 year and underachieved many.

There will be growing pains with the new coach and it is possible X goes in the wrong direction. With Mack, Xavier would always be a very good team, now we have the chance to be elite but we could just as easily be good or even bad. If we struggle this year, it doesn't necessarily mean bad things for the future as a lot of talent left but it will make climbing back to very good more difficult.

The good news is that if Xavier struggles, some of us can replace them with a surging Cleveland Browns team. Yes the Browns will be good this year, possibly dominant but may still be a year away from being dominant. The biggest wildcard for the Browns is their head coach as he has been terrible (yes he had a shortage of talent due to the tear down but he lost games with stupid decisions many times over the past 2 years). Cleveland still has a ton of cap space which they will likely use over the next couple years to put them in the running for a string of super bowls.

Back to Xavier, the most probable final 4 may have been the Chalmers team as that team just exploded on the scene late in the year. They and St Joe were just dominant but both lost hard fought close games in the elite 8. The other was Brown/Raymond as they were balanced and played great as a team. Unfortunately that team had an off night against UCLA which was made worse by 1 sided officiating.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Getting to the FF takes skill and luck...some things which Mack appears to have not had. I do not see Mack IMHO making a FF. Louisville spent some big monies and Mack should have taken free millions, but Louisville IMHO will never see a FF with Mack. Xavier will /may make the FF some day, but not sure when. That is a lot of luck.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Madness, agree with most of what you said but if you think that X was ever going to beat that UCLA team with Collison, Love AND Westbrook you have really earned your moniker! Still love you tho! (think it was about a 20 pt loss)
Theology73

Postby Theology73 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:03 pm

harryfe wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 pm
olsingledigit wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm
titansbaseball01 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 am
We can make the final four. It's extremely difficult and it will always be about matchups in the tournament and just making shots. In 2016 Wisconsin was a bad matchup for a great X team and they made us play at their pace and beat us. In 2018, while FSU wasn't a terrible matchup by any means, they controlled the game and X was not hitting their shot. In 2017 we had an average at best team, but were a terrible matchup for a better Maryland and FSU team and then we outplayed and out coached a better Arizona team.

So yes, X can make the final 4, but I am convinced it will happen in a year where the expectations are not to make the FF (so maybe next year :D )
IM0 2018 was a total tournament failure because of a selfish coach who quit on them and was focused o his own future.
Agree with you on this one digit. Still want to know what mm thinks of CM now.? I think a lot more of our other coaches that have left, not that they all left honorably.
Thinking that ANY coach would "quit" on his team during the NCAA tournament is the most asinine thing I have ever read on this board. I used to have respect for you. Now I consider you an idiot.
Mark Twain was wrong. Golf is NOT a good walk spoiled. It is a shared personal experience in a majestic wonderland guided by God, whose name is called frequently during the round.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:07 am

Theology73 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:03 pm
harryfe wrote:
olsingledigit wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm

IM0 2018 was a total tournament failure because of a selfish coach who quit on them and was focused o his own future.
Agree with you on this one digit. Still want to know what mm thinks of CM now.? I think a lot more of our other coaches that have left, not that they all left honorably.
Thinking that ANY coach would "quit" on his team during the NCAA tournament is the most asinine thing I have ever read on this board. I used to have respect for you. Now I consider you an idiot.
Not sure who you are considering an idiot but I will never have any respect for Chris Mack. He leaves X his alma mater to go to a school such as Louisville for $. And rumor has it that he was recruiting forLouisville during the tournament .I think a lot more of Thad and Sean. He has set our program back for years for his own personal gain.
Theology73

Postby Theology73 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:22 pm

harryfe wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:07 am
Theology73 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:03 pm
harryfe wrote:

Not sure who you are considering an idiot but I will never have any respect for Chris Mack. He leaves X his alma mater to go to a school such as Louisville for $. And rumor has it that he was recruiting forLouisville during the tournament .I think a lot more of Thad and Sean. He has set our program back for years for his own personal gain.
OSD is an idiot for thinking any coach with a legit opportunity to win a NC would quit on his team and pass up a career-making achievement. You are an idiot if you believe any rumor that CM was recruiting for UL during the tournament. As a friend of the Mack family, I know for a fact that had X won the NC, CM would still be coaching at X. Mick Cronin actually applied for the UL job before they contacted CM.
Mark Twain was wrong. Golf is NOT a good walk spoiled. It is a shared personal experience in a majestic wonderland guided by God, whose name is called frequently during the round.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”