Can X make the FF???

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Can X make the FF???

Postby skyhops » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:08 am

Final four is the holy grail for X right now and in the Skyhops house. Should be an exciting season
titansbaseball01

Postby titansbaseball01 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 am

We can make the final four. It's extremely difficult and it will always be about matchups in the tournament and just making shots. In 2016 Wisconsin was a bad matchup for a great X team and they made us play at their pace and beat us. In 2018, while FSU wasn't a terrible matchup by any means, they controlled the game and X was not hitting their shot. In 2017 we had an average at best team, but were a terrible matchup for a better Maryland and FSU team and then we outplayed and out coached a better Arizona team.

So yes, X can make the final 4, but I am convinced it will happen in a year where the expectations are not to make the FF (so maybe next year :D )
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm

titansbaseball01 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 am
We can make the final four. It's extremely difficult and it will always be about matchups in the tournament and just making shots. In 2016 Wisconsin was a bad matchup for a great X team and they made us play at their pace and beat us. In 2018, while FSU wasn't a terrible matchup by any means, they controlled the game and X was not hitting their shot. In 2017 we had an average at best team, but were a terrible matchup for a better Maryland and FSU team and then we outplayed and out coached a better Arizona team.

So yes, X can make the final 4, but I am convinced it will happen in a year where the expectations are not to make the FF (so maybe next year :D )
IM0 2018 was a total tournament failure because of a selfish coach who quit on them and was focused o his own future.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm
titansbaseball01 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 am

IM0 2018 was a total tournament failure because of a selfish coach who quit on them and was focused o his own future.
Agree with you on this one digit. Still want to know what mm thinks of CM now.? I think a lot more of our other coaches that have left, not that they all left honorably.
JTG

Postby JTG » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: 2018
None of the other past coaches bailed on the team During the Season...Mack has gone to the top of the list, passing Matta as biggest ***** to coach at X.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 pm

C’mon mm tell me how much you think of CM
now. Have you ever admitted you were wrong?
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:05 am

I’d really like to know what the people that think that Mack “quit” on the team are basing that belief on.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:00 am

Not to beat a dead horse but Mack was talking to Louisville during the season and agreed to the job before the Big East tourney, which was evident during our tourney play. If that is not quitting I’m not sure what is. True story.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:28 am

I can not "buy" the fact that Mack quit on the team. Maybe the fact that the PLAYERS knew that there was a strong rumor that he was going to LSVL may have a factor. If you remember that the players had some stupid TO's (five in the waning minutes) like Goodin throwing the ball to no one, Tre having three TO's and Kanter's three point air ball that would have tied the game can hardly put the blame on Mack. We, as fans, are always bitter when our coach leaves for the huge contract and I guess it will always be the case. Personally, I don't think Mack "quit" on Xavier but we are all entitled to our opinion. go Xavier!
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm

well shoot-golly, this is what we are left to rummage about as the Dawg-daze of summer descend upon us all. So be it. First, to at least stay on thread topic, I must agree with Titans when he surmised that a Final-4 bid would likely come in a year when initial expectations were mediocre. Why, cuz I do not see us ever reaching the blue-blood level where we are stacked with 5-star & 4-star talent anyway, so more likely we advance in a year where we are solid and peaking and in a bracket that breaks down a bit as in Butler's experience on one of it's 2 trips. As for CM quitting. Who really know. But I tend to concur with Skyhops. I had an acquaintance who told me before this past freaking season started that Mack had given The 'Ville an unofficial verbal nod that he would take the position after the season ended. If silly ole me hears this, (from a fairly reliable source that was a college chum of Mack's), then I am sure the players caught wind and that crap has to seep deep down into the individual and group psyche as you head into battle during the tourney. I mentioned before in a prior thread that our 16/17 team, although less talented, had much better camaraderie and a fierce 'trench-warfare" mentality than 17/18 did. Mack's apparent lame-duck persona very likely could have rubbed off and contributed to that difference in mindset. That said, it's all speculation, yet probably some validity based on perceived hints & clues. Bottom line, what seemed like a damn good team at the start of the year with talent, experience and depth, fizzled badly. It happens, not just to us but several programs each & every year as only one cuts down the nets. Funny how those that do cut down nets seem to have the trait of stable & talented proven coaching staffs, plus the much needed talent. The added salt in we X-fans wounds is that we can't as easily reload - rather we must rebuild in a cyclical nature. Once believing Mack was almost akin to my clone, as a blue-collar Cincinnatian that loved and graduated from X, yup - stings all the more....

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”