Creighton Game thread 01/13/2018

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Creighton Game thread 01/13/2018

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:05 pm

at the beginning of the read I mentioned that Big Stain was in the Taz but so was Edmund too. Great to see the guys come back. BTW Ed said things are going well and he could be on the court for the pacers maybe Friday....hope so....Indy boys it is your job to let us know how he is doing.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
XavierRunningMan

Postby XavierRunningMan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Shannon asked Mack about Tyrique. Apparently hurt his right hand in practice yesterday and felt like he'd be restricted. Had tape on it and Mack would have played him if we were in foul trouble or needed his help.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:23 pm
Chris' discipline worked well today. whatever he said to Kaiser, et al made them come out like Providence did against X. Now do the same against St john's.. When a good team is playing their game they beat most good teams not playing their best beating my #1 and beat #25 in one week wished it would have been a better week but I will take it.
I didn't read thru this thread, but couldn't avoid seeing my mentor's comments. First of all, you're only half right. Gates didn't sit due to discipline, but rather uninspired play 3 games in a row. He played one of his 3 best games of his career. Jones was a different matter. For the last several games, I've watched him when taken out, and his body language isn't great. I didn't think it was great today either. The fact of the matter is, he hasn't played poorly, but Kantner has separated himself. O'mara also played really well, which he has, for the most part, all year. Kantner also was his usual productive self. Best offensive option on the team.

JP's numbers always seem to belie his production. He set the tone early for the team, as he made several positive plays offensively and defensively to get X going after a sluggish few minutes. They never looked back.

Bluiett hopefully shook out of his slump. It's funny how a good offensive game after several poor ones in a row "heals" pseudo-injuries. His stroke looked as fluid as it has all year. The slump, imo, had more to do more with poor shot selection, than anything else.

Scruggs is a really hard player to figure out. He takes two steps back, and one forward. He made 2 treys, but has an awkward looking shot. He also does not have traditional point guard skills, and he stops his dribble high all the time. He also lacks the vision of Goodin as a freshman, and it isn't even close. Love his potential though. He made a tremendous block, and can be a lockdown defender, and was a net positive this game, so hopefully, he continues improving his play. I'm glad he got extended playing time in this type of game when X played with a double-digit lead.

As I stated to my friend X4Life on Wed after the debacle in Philly, X righted the ship and may slip only a couple of spots. Shouldn't be more. Losing by 20+ at the best team in the country's home court, and holding serve by the same margin against a Top 25 team at home should be a wash.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm
muskieman wrote:
Chris' discipline worked well today. whatever he said to Kaiser, et al made them come out like Providence did against X. Now do the same against St john's.. When a good team is playing their game they beat most good teams not playing their best beating my #1 and beat #25 in one week wished it would have been a better week but I will take it.
I didn't read thru this thread, but couldn't avoid seeing my mentor's comments. First of all, you're only half right. Gates didn't sit due to discipline, but rather uninspired play 3 games in a row. He played one of his 3 best games of his career. Jones was a different matter. For the last several games, I've watched him when taken out, and his body language isn't great. I didn't think it was great today either. The fact of the matter is, he hasn't played poorly, but Kantner has separated himself. O'mara also played really well, which he has, for the most part, all year. Kantner also was his usual productive self. Best offensive option on the team.

JP's numbers always seem to belie his production. He set the tone early for the team, as he made several positive plays offensively and defensively to get X going after a sluggish few minutes. They never looked back.

Bluiett hopefully shook out of his slump. It's funny how a good offensive game after several poor ones in a row "heals" pseudo-injuries. His stroke looked as fluid as it has all year. The slump, imo, had more to do more with poor shot selection, than anything else.

Scruggs is a really hard player to figure out. He takes two steps back, and one forward. He made 2 treys, but has an awkward looking shot. He also does not have traditional point guard skills, and he stops his dribble high all the time. He also lacks the vision of Goodin as a freshman, and it isn't even close. Love his potential though. He made a tremendous block, and can be a lockdown defender, and was a net positive this game, so hopefully, he continues improving his play. I'm glad he got extended playing time in this type of game when X played with a double-digit lead.

As I stated to my friend X4Life on Wed after the debacle in Philly, X righted the ship and may slip only a couple of spots. Shouldn't be more. Losing by 20+ at the best team in the country's home court, and holding serve by the same margin against a Top 25 team at home should be a wash.
Edit: AH Jr said he thought Jones was pretty enthusiastic on the bench. Maybe I just happened to see him when he seemed to be sulking. I hope Jr's account is more accurate. Jones seems like a good kid, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Every time they showed the bench on TV, it appeared that Ty Jones was certainly standing up and cheering his teammates on. I didn’t see any negative attitude being displayed.
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:13 pm
Every time they showed the bench on TV, it appeared that Ty Jones was certainly standing up and cheering his teammates on. I didn’t see any negative attitude being displayed.
[/quot

Great to hear.

I always like to look at our players who don't play as they probably projected, to see how they conduct themselves. I watched Gates a lot last year when his p.t. was sporadic, and he always seemed engaged on the bench and during t.o.s Same with O'Mara, last and this year. I made a point of watching Jones at several games this year (eg. Baylor, Depaul, Butler), and he would sometimes pout when taken out, necessitating a coach to talk to him - usually Coach Pegues.

I've also seen him enthusiastically jump up and congratulate teammates during t.o.s Some do it more consistently than others. As stated, he seems like a good kid, and there's nothing wrong with getting frustrated, as long as it doesn't distract from the team. Kantner is a good example of that. After the 2nd game, he had a private meeting with CM, b/c he was frustrated with his lack of p.t. However, you would have never known it, because I never saw him be anything but a supportive teammate.

Jones has two good examples to emulate in O'Mara & Kantner.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:33 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm
muskieman wrote:

from Shannon: Chris Mack on Tyrique Jones, who did not play today and had his right hand taped pre-game. Is his health OK?
"I think so," Mack said. "He banged (his right hand) yesterday in practice and it was a little painful. I think it’s a little puffy. He felt like he would be the one-armed bandit out there. That’s the second time I’ve sort of brought up “The Fugitive.” You know, one-armed man. So he didn’t feel like he could really help our team. I told him, ‘Well hey, if we get in foul trouble and you can still block shots and rebound with your left, then I may put you in there.’”

As for Jones this is the first year he has played Point so not having traditional point guard skills is understandable. Just like Tre's soft passes Jones has had that problem but only 1 TO today and with a 2 assists one big block and 2 steal were nice and the 2-3 from the three icing on the cake. The one guy that really had a nice game was Naji and he played nice D all game. Sean, KK and Kaiser with 20 rebounds were special...I liked how Kaiser yelled I got it on the last rebound and then had a little discussion with KK as they went to the Time out with Kaiser pointing to the scoreboard telling KK they both had 8.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:05 pm
at the beginning of the read I mentioned that Big Stain was in the Taz but so was Edmund too. Great to see the guys come back. BTW Ed said things are going well and he could be on the court for the pacers maybe Friday....hope so....Indy boys it is your job to let us know how he is doing.
Plenty of us around. We can handle it. It will be great to see him play.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:51 am

xu koop scoop wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:53 pm
Where's Tre on career points now?
He'll move into 3rd place pretty soon. I think Sato and Grant are within a few points of each other. Less than 100 behind them

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”