None of you would make good coaches

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

None of you would make good coaches

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Even though you try and play one on game night, why, because you would panic as the ball was being tossed up. I am no better. YEP, X got their butt kicked tonight because our two big scorers couldn't find the bottom of the net. Tre couldn't even find it from the line. Will it happen for the remainder of the year maybe because Tre seems to let it become mental for him but my take is the ship will right itself. I'm shocked that our Seniors, minus KK and Sean, did not climb the hill and punch back like they have done on teams that were hot at the beginning of the game, also the high low game where was it tonight. I'd love it if we could have a Sean and KK starters but my guess is teams would run us.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Go Go Golston

Re: None of you would make good coaches

Postby Go Go Golston » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Here's a fact that has replicated itself from last season:
Since BE play has started, Muskies have given up 87, 72, 79, 81 and 89. That's 80.3. That's not having pride in your defense. Just sayin.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 pm

MM no shame in losing to Nova on their home court. I'm more concerned about Providence, DePaul, and ETSU in the last couple of weeks. Tre will come out of his slump but frankly, Nova is just better than X. I think they are better than X on any court but Nova is elite-X is not. X may be a 12-15 ranked team. I look at this like the Steelers-vs Patriots. The Steelers can win the superbowl if someone else take care of the patriots. I just hope X doesnt play them in the tourney-although it would mean they likely went far. If X loses at home to Creighton, then I would be very concerned. One thing about tonights game is that X offense was bad and Mack had no choice due to Macuras foul trouble to have Marshall, Scruggs, and Goodin in at the same time. All are good doing their thing (Scruggs still learning) but they are horrible shooters. Great at driving. X will be back on Saturday and hope they can win some BE road games.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:14 pm
Even though you try and play one on game night, why, because you would panic as the ball was being tossed up. I am no better. YEP, X got their butt kicked tonight because our two big scorers couldn't find the bottom of the net. Tre couldn't even find it from the line. Will it happen for the remainder of the year maybe because Tre seems to let it become mental for him but my take is the ship will right itself. I'm shocked that our Seniors, minus KK and Sean, did not climb the hill and punch back like they have done on teams that were hot at the beginning of the game, also the high low game where was it tonight. I'd love it if we could have a Sean and KK starters but my guess is teams would run us.
Yea,

And Zona sucks. So take that! Just kidding buddy. I know you root for all former Xavier coaches, and will also root for CM at the Ville, as I will.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 pm
MM no shame in losing to Nova on their home court. I'm more concerned about Providence, DePaul, and ETSU in the last couple of weeks. Tre will come out of his slump but frankly, Nova is just better than X. I think they are better than X on any court but Nova is elite-X is not. X may be a 12-15 ranked team. I look at this like the Steelers-vs Patriots. The Steelers can win the superbowl if someone else take care of the patriots. I just hope X doesnt play them in the tourney-although it would mean they likely went far. If X loses at home to Creighton, then I would be very concerned. One thing about tonights game is that X offense was bad and Mack had no choice due to Macuras foul trouble to have Marshall, Scruggs, and Goodin in at the same time. All are good doing their thing (Scruggs still learning) but they are horrible shooters. Great at driving. X will be back on Saturday and hope they can win some BE road games.
Like I said on another thread, I am not happy with the loss and didn't expect it to be a blow out although with the beginning 8 minutes I knew it was not our night unless someone (JP or Tre along with Gates) stepped up. None of them did to any great extent and Tre took some bad looking shots(which to his credit he has made in the past). As far and Bengals/that other team it is more than that because it seems as if most Cincinnati based teams have that team they make look like world beaters. I hope they can score with CU because like Nova they have scorers from almost every position. I do agree with most of your concerns and hope they are all solvable.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:33 am

Go Go Golston wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 pm
Here's a fact that has replicated itself from last season:
Since BE play has started, Muskies have given up 87, 72, 79, 81 and 89. That's 80.3. That's not having pride in your defense. Just sayin.
how many points off turnovers? i'd say there was at least 12-16 points off of our bad passes. I'd say Scruggs was responsible for half of them. i don't get how he thinks that some of these passes are going to get there. how about a ball fake? a simple ball fake? it's not that hard.

point is - defense didn't have everything to do with them getting 89. if our offense takes care of the ball, they don't get half of those easy possessions. just take 5 of the turnovers and turn them into points on our end and actually being able to setup our D as well and it's a different game.

and in the end, Nova is simply better. at all phases of the game. at every position. at everything. they are never out of control. they never take bad shots. they never have bad turnovers. their entire team can all make 3's even with a hand in their face.

they are just better.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 am

On TV after the Nova coach (jay Wright) made the statement "when your team makes shots everything looks great" and that is the simple truth. In Nova's one loss Butler made 15 three pointers and even Nova good as they are could handle that. They MADE shots and XU did not. But, we have to be concerned (as everyone has noted) that our big three have not been very good in the last two games. When we make shots we look great but when we do not we look bad. Go

Xavier!
xu koop scoop

Postby xu koop scoop » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 am

But we might make good "helpers" or assistants. Suggesting Mack play 2 bigs together more often. That means 2 of Kanter, Jones & O'Mara. These three avg 46 MPG - so we use 2 together an avg of 6 MPG. Where might we have been if we used Reynolds & Farr together more, as we did have a young O'Mara & even Makinde London to back them up. Reynolds & Farr were fould prone. Now we have a better group of bigs than then and less fould prone. I like Kanter & Jones or O'Mara & Jones since Jones seems to be the best defender of the 3. Remember how Jason Love grew leaps & bounds his last 2 yrs. Same with Kenyon Martin at UC. Kanter & O'Mara seem to be growing leaps & bounds together. They are growing up as players while Tre & JP are very good, but stagnant in growth. Same for Kaiser Gates who refuses to be a force inside offensively. Travis Steele & Luke Murray have been around awhile. We have an established coaching system & hope they find ways to get more minutes from those going thru growth spurts in ability right now.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 pm

Good perimeter defense causes teams to miss shots and our defense this year has been dreadful. Did Gates play the last few games? He is quickly becoming one of the most disappointing players in recent history. If he is our go to player next year we are in trouble.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 pm

besides Gates, we will not have one other legitimate outside shooting threat next season.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”