Providence Game thread 01/06/18

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
tacitus

Re: Providence Game thread 01/06/18

Postby tacitus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:35 pm

muskiefan92 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:40 pm
They won't be in the top 5-10 much longer. In fact they haven't looked like a top ten team since mid December.
I have learned not to post anything negative when drinking after a loss...

Mid-December is when we edged out the likes of ETSU and Marshall at home. Since then, we have won at Norther Iowa, at Marquette, and against a Butler team that had just beaten the #1 team in the nation. Providence is now top-50 RPI after beating us, so the loss will not hurt us.

If we don't play our A-game on the road in the Big East, any team in the league can beat us. This is not the last game we will lose this season, and our toughest game of the regular season is next week. Suck it up. We still have 11 shots at quality wins and only three games that could be bad losses.

Time to move on to Nova.
Let's March!
X4LIFE

Postby X4LIFE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 pm

What is going on? People being critical of this team, voicing a negative opiinion! It’s madness. Better get a handle on this quick muskieman.
X had an off day. They need to rest regroup and get ready for Nova. They need to limit turnovers and have a good first half. They don’t need a great first half just put together a complete game.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:00 pm

We've been playing from behind a lot this year, and eventually that will catch up with you particularly on the road against teams who play you regularly. The margin for error is not as big as a lot think. They'll go as far as Tb's shot. The cover article that X was "shocked" is a little bewildering. This won't be the last road game this team loses to an unranked team.
bleedXblue

Postby bleedXblue » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 am

Agreed with many points.......X has to fix a few things......primarily its carelessness with the ball in the 1st half of games. Getting behind in games early is more than just a trend at this point. Add to that, poor decision making and circus shots from some of our key players.........who aren't letting the game come to them and are not running the offensive sets and screens to get guys good shots.
oldhoopster2

Postby oldhoopster2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:18 am

bleedXblue wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 am
Agreed with many points.......X has to fix a few things......primarily its carelessness with the ball in the 1st half of games. Getting behind in games early is more than just a trend at this point. Add to that, poor decision making and circus shots from some of our key players.........who aren't letting the game come to them and are not running the offensive sets and screens to get guys good shots.
Right on bleed. Turnovers are the biggest issue and usually they improve in the second half, hopefully after a halftime coach's ire. But that imo is the biggest issue this team has. Defense is slow and bad at times, but the TOs are a bigger killer, along with poor choices and forcing the issue into circus shots as you mention. As for running offensive sets and screens, hasn't happened for years and won't start now. Our offense is mostly pass around the perimeter with an occasional run around the baseline with a few half executed screens. Watch other teams and many seem to be in motion constantly while X has little movement most the time. And other teams will set screen after screen to get their shooters free. JP, Tre and even Gates aren't great shot creators so we should be doing anything possible to get them looks. I think Naji is the best at breaking down a defense and he'll only get better. Karem has been a great get and the bigs have been doing well for the most part. But all need to value the ball more.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Tre's slump/shoulder injury is a smoldering concern. Turnovers have been a bug-A-boo. But my main area of focus, were I C Mack, would be improving our "man D. Zones are a gimmick and will be effective now and then. But X needs to improve their susceptibility to dribble penetration. Naji getting more minutes may help. Goodin yesterday got toasted a few too many times in that midway 2nd half period where X was scoring every time down for about a 4 minute stretch. Yet we remained 6 to 8 points down because we could not get even one stop. Goodin is supposedly one of our quicker defenders... Lord knows JP and Tre are already challenged in this realm.
Tre will heal and get hot. Turnovers are mainly concentration and focus. But our ability to defend the dribble continues to haunt. We have known this to be Team 95's potential Achilles' heal since October. Hopefully they are working on this aspect 24/7. Fortunately X does many other things extremely well.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Our perimeter defense speed is not going to change which is why Mack has to run zones. Tre’s inability to create a shot or drive to the hoop is a major issue if his shooting is off, not to mention Gates sleep walking thru most games.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:35 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:42 pm
Tre's slump/shoulder injury is a smoldering concern. Turnovers have been a bug-A-boo. But my main area of focus, were I C Mack, would be improving our "man D. Zones are a gimmick and will be effective now and then. But X needs to improve their susceptibility to dribble penetration. Naji getting more minutes may help. Goodin yesterday got toasted a few too many times in that midway 2nd half period where X was scoring every time down for about a 4 minute stretch. Yet we remained 6 to 8 points down because we could not get even one stop. Goodin is supposedly one of our quicker defenders... Lord knows JP and Tre are already challenged in this realm.
Tre will heal and get hot. Turnovers are mainly concentration and focus. But our ability to defend the dribble continues to haunt. We have known this to be Team 95's potential Achilles' heal since October. Hopefully they are working on this aspect 24/7. Fortunately X does many other things extremely well.
X-Luc,

Spot on with all your points, particularly your comment re. the defense, especially as it pertains to the use of the zone. I like the fact that it is employed now and then, but I think he sticks with it too long at times. One thing which really perplexes me is his absolute reluctance to apply pressure. I think the identity with CM as a coach during his tenure has always been good offense, not defense. Never has been. That's ok, as he has maintained the very good results of his two predecessors, who both were better defensive coaches, but inferior to CM's offensive acumen. He is obviously a pack line guy, and that works if your team defends well with it. I don't ever expect X, or anyone else to defend like VA, but it can't be like Iowa St. either, if X wants to reach its 1st FF (even though X won the de facto NCAA tourney in the 60s?) in the modern era. X has to score 80 virtually every game against good teams to win, because every team we play seems to execute better offensively than they normally do against us. The pack line has been a sieve this year, and previous ones as well.

This year is particularly frustrating, considering the addition of athletes with length in Marshall and Scruggs (as defense is his positive contribution this year thus far), to go along with the likes of Goodin, Gates, J Mac, and Jones. Nova is similar to X in that that they both have athletes with length, and one glaring high-level offensive player who is a defensive liability in Brunson (X's counterpart is obviously Tre). Despite this, Nova still employs pressure very effectively, and their results speak for themselves.

T.o.s, as you point out, are also a concern, and the issue I think it even greater than it seems, because of how many poor shots X takes early in the shot clock, which is almost the same as a t.o. When Tre drives in the lane and shoots Globe Trotter shots 3 times a game, I just pray he gets fouled, or I know it will lead to a runout.

Despite the deficiencies, X's tremendous depth with offense has masked these problem areas up to this point, but now X is getting into the meat of a great conference schedule. The potential 2 seed line can become 7, if these issues aren't corrected very soon.

Seacrest out.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:46 pm

True, Hops, understood that we are what we are as far as our speed/quickness quotient. I was just stating that even Goodin yesterday, a dude that does have some quickness, was toasted on key possessions by Isaiah Jackson. Mack can play around with hedging and help D a bit as well as screen switching and angles to hide the limitations of JP & Tre - but we need our supposed quick players like Gates and Goodin to be able to hold down the fort. Even that did not happen yesterday. You are spot on about Gates - Good Lord, 23 minutes, zero points, 1 rebound and zero assists. Pitiful and inexcusable. Time to start Naji and let Kaiser come off the bench IMHO. Tough league and certainly no embarrassment to lose at the Dunk. just need to keep learning and evolving and hope that Tre regains his health and mojo.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:05 pm

X-luc. Good points for sure. We have options for Gates if he is going play like he went thru AH’s stashe. Both Naji and Kanter are both viable options. I do know from sources that Mack and Steele wil both be at Flyin to the Hoop on Friday to watch Findlay Prep play, which has nothing to do with this thread.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”