Pat Kelsey

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
brockman231
What is home venue for the Xavier Musketeers?: Cintas Center
Who is Xavier's current head coach?: Chris Mack
What year did Cintas Center open?: 2000

Pat Kelsey

Postby brockman231 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:52 pm

I spoke to a family friend of Pat's. He said Kelsey thought he was going to get the Dayton job and that is why dropped UMass.
oreobob

Re: Pat Kelsey

Postby oreobob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:10 pm

That set him back 5 years.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Who knows what the discussions were with Kelsey at Dayton but he handled it badly. So he said " "But after further reflection, I have decided to remain at Winthrop. I realized that at this point in my career Winthrop and Rock Hill is the best place for my family and me." So did he say that when he figured he was going to Dayton as this was said the day he changed his mind at UMass. I hope X is never in the position and if so, does not go after Kelsey.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Anthony Grant is a UD alum and has some head coach experience so I'm surprised Kelsey would think he had the job over Grant. Will be interesting what he does with Sam Miller.
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:53 pm

skyhops wrote:Anthony Grant is a UD alum and has some head coach experience so I'm surprised Kelsey would think he had the job over Grant. Will be interesting what he does with Sam Miller.
Dayton Flyers’ Sam Miller suspended for semester, won’t play this fall.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/d ... L4zqAWkHP/
Interesting video.
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you
Ralph Waldo Emerson
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks Shadow, I just read that today. That is the toughest Miller has ever looked!
Theology73

Postby Theology73 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 pm

brockman231 wrote:I spoke to a family friend of Pat's. He said Kelsey thought he was going to get the Dayton job and that is why dropped UMass.
When I spoke to his dad, UD was not in the conversation. Mike told me he dropped UMass because he got a bad feeling about it and he was really close to his team and support system at Winthrop.
Mark Twain was wrong. Golf is NOT a good walk spoiled. It is a shared personal experience in a majestic wonderland guided by God, whose name is called frequently during the round.
Theology73

Postby Theology73 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:22 pm

oreobob wrote:That set him back 5 years.
I disagree. Good coaches are in demand every year. If he continues the success he's had at Winthrop, he'll continue to get offers every year.
Mark Twain was wrong. Golf is NOT a good walk spoiled. It is a shared personal experience in a majestic wonderland guided by God, whose name is called frequently during the round.
bubba senior

Postby bubba senior » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Go Pat....Go Winthrop!!
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Theology73 wrote:
brockman231 wrote:I spoke to a family friend of Pat's. He said Kelsey thought he was going to get the Dayton job and that is why dropped UMass.
When I spoke to his dad, UD was not in the conversation. Mike told me he dropped UMass because he got a bad feeling about it and he was really close to his team and support system at Winthrop.
That doesn't make sense. If he was close to his team and support system, why interview and then accept in the first place, only to change your mind -a day after accepting. I don't know the true story (like everyone else on the board) but if you are truly that close, I don't see you actually accepting. I can see you interviewing to test the waters but to say yes? I would definitely proceed with caution if I were an AD looking for a coach