Recruiting news

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Recruiting news

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 pm

gym from delhi wrote:Last year he averaged 7 points and 7 rebounds; either a project or the second coming of Bob King (I played a pick-up game with the latter about 25 years ago; a nice guy but clearly not a D1 C or F).
Sometimes I wonder..... Are these really serious Xavier basketball fans on this site.? The ink is barely dry and we have folks knocking this recruit. Really. What have you done to score points lately for Xavier, Eh big shots?? That's what I thought. Did you ever hear of a bell curve? It pretty much applies to just about anything in this universe. Certainly, applies to the human growth/level of athleticism graph. So how many coordinated 7'1" 250 pound folks do you think are walking around out there about to graduate from high school - that can also Dribbble a little bit and shoot a basketball under duress?
I can tell you that number is far less than the number of high-quality D1 basketball programs chasing them. So maybe we redshirt him a year, let him grow into his body and bang with some upperclassman, refine his skills. I'm confident by his junior year he can produce somewhat similar to Jason love. One thing I can tell you about the kid is he's excited and will give us everything he's got. That makes me excited! Welcome to X Jake. 99% of Xavier nation is thrilled and honored to have you.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
gym from delhi wrote:Last year he averaged 7 points and 7 rebounds; either a project or the second coming of Bob King (I played a pick-up game with the latter about 25 years ago; a nice guy but clearly not a D1 C or F).
Sometimes I wonder..... Are these really serious Xavier basketball fans on this site.? The ink is barely dry and we have folks knocking this recruit. Really. What have you done to score points lately for Xavier, Eh big shots?? That's what I thought. Did you ever hear of a bell curve? It pretty much applies to just about anything in this universe. Certainly, applies to the human growth/level of athleticism graph. So how many coordinated 7'1" 250 pound folks do you think are walking around out there about to graduate from high school - that can also Dribbble a little bit and shoot a basketball under duress?
I can tell you that number is far less than the number of high-quality D1 basketball programs chasing them. So maybe we redshirt him a year, let him grow into his body and bang with some upperclassman, refine his skills. I'm confident by his junior year he can produce somewhat similar to Jason love. One thing I can tell you about the kid is he's excited and will give us everything he's got. That makes me excited! Welcome to X Jake. 99% of Xavier nation is thrilled and honored to have you.
I'm with you Homer
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Anti-Homer wrote:
I'm with you Homer
I think what some forget this is just a blog and anyone is entitled to their opinions and can post them. I remember when digit was so enthusiastic about Churchill Odia. How did that turn out?
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:54 am

Yeah, but sometimes those "opinions" are based upon unrealistic expectations and are not based upon reality......or are opinions best left unposted.

Remember the old advice your mother told you......"if you can't say something nice......"

:mrgreen:
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:48 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Anti-Homer wrote:
I'm with you Homer

Thanks Digit.

I'm trying to get posters to agree to my latest contribution here one at a time. Next target is my cantankerous but lovable friend, X-lucid. I feel confident I can sway him to my side on this one.
ken '60

Postby ken '60 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Are you all crazy, don't you have any faith in Chris Mack? If he is good enough for Chris to give him a Scholarship he should be good enough for you to say " He's good enough for me". You think Chris didn't check him out with his coaches? Come on, get a life.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:36 am

ken '60 wrote:Are you all crazy, don't you have any faith in Chris Mack? If he is good enough for Chris to give him a Scholarship he should be good enough for you to say " He's good enough for me". You think Chris didn't check him out with his coaches? Come on, get a life.
Chris and every other coach in America have recruited sub-par players. Its a numbers game and its going to happen. If fans want to project who will be good and who may not, how does thay ruin your existence?
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:03 am

[quote="harryfe"][quote="olsingledigit"][quote="Anti-Homer"][quote="gym from delhi"]Last year he averaged 7 points and 7 rebounds; either a project or the second coming of Bob King (I played a pick-up game with the latter about 25 years ago; a nice guy but clearly not a D1 C or F
Odia had the best All Star game ever. Then did nothing. I tend to make quick judgements. Let's give Jake a welcome and a chance.
I think what some forget this is just a blog and anyone is entitled to their opinions and can post them. I remember when digit was so enthusiastic about Churchill Odia. How did that turn out
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Anti, did I accidently 'trigger' you last week? Apologies my man... As another poster mentioned- this site is for opinions. I expressed mine in reaction to another opinion I had read. Who's to say who is right and who is full of hot air & bluster. My perspective is from attending X in the late 70's. Highlights for me were driving up 75 to attend the MCC championships in Detroit. So I feel X has been in great hands from Staak on down to Mack. Easy to look at a recruit's HS Junior stats and predict doom & gloom. You may be right. Jake seems to be a late bloomer with upside. Plus from all accounts, a terrific young man. Last I checked, 7-1 can't miss blue-chip recruits are not knocking down our door. No harm in taking the developmental route to target a solid contributor by a redshirted Junior campaign. Relax, it will work out, there is always the one year Senior transfers and Juco route for an emergency next season stop-gap. I am pumped for this coming season - not losing sleep over the '18 class post prospects just yet.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:47 pm

No doubt Chris is better at picking recruits than anyone on this board. But he is not always right. How about Larry Austin, Makinde London and Brandon Randolph?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”