Prayers for Bob Pelkington

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
cfreese

Prayers for Bob Pelkington

Postby cfreese » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:53 pm

From Xavier's Tom Eiser and staff:

Tim Pelkington, son of former Xavier basketball player Bob Pelkington, said that Bob has been in poor health recently and is not expected to make it through the weekend.

Bob played for Xavier from 1961-64. During his senior year, he led the nation in rebounding with 21.8 rebounds per game. His career average of 16.6 rebounds per game is still the best in school history.

Prayers and thoughts go out to Bob and his family.
"We've got 17 seconds left, and we own this city." —Bob Staak
gundun

Re: Prayers for Bob Pelkington

Postby gundun » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Was thinking of just how good the Bird was. He not only was able to be great 50 years ago but could show JR a thing or two today.

Thanks heaven I was able to watch him up close. I can still see him getting that rebound and then baseball passing it to Steve Thomas on the fly towards our basket.

Saying an extra prayer for you tonight, Big Guy.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:57 pm

remember him. He was one of my favorites. Will send prayers for big BOB.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:18 pm

Prayers to the Pelkington family. Too young to have seen him play, but, was told how good he was by my father many times growing up.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Many page discussion on the other board about turning points in the Xavier U Basketball history. It's important to remember that there was a Xavier history of great basketball and great players BEFORE the 1980's, and Bob was from all accounts one of the all time great players and representatives of Xavier basketball. Prayers for Bkb and his family as they deal with this difficult time.

May he been in heaven a week before the devil even knows he's passed....God Bless!
#WHYNOTX?
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Prayers to him and his family.
I only knew him through newspaper articles as the USN owned me during those years and only vaguely remember him. TV s such a blessing that enables us to see our team in action.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:40 am

Remember him well, along with Thomas, McNeil and Geiger---Ruberg and the first 3-digit scoreboard. Those were fun games before the shot clock and the 3-pt line.
yclppr

Postby yclppr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:46 pm

Thoughts and prayers for Bob and the family.
wkrq59

Postby wkrq59 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Covered Bob at Xavier, sending Angel Rob on emergency run .Many prayers too.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:57 pm

gundun wrote:Was thinking of just how good the Bird was. He not only was able to be great 50 years ago but could show JR a thing or two today.

Thanks heaven I was able to watch him up close. I can still see him getting that rebound and then baseball passing it to Steve Thomas on the fly towards our basket.

Saying an extra prayer for you tonight, Big Guy.
and his feet never hit the floor between the rebound and the passs. An amazing player and from what I have heard a great guy. I really enjoyed watching his 21.8 rebounds per game my freshman year. He beat Paul Silas, one of the great all time NBA rebounders, to win the NCAA rebounding crown that year (1963-64 season). Steve Thomas's averaged 29 points per game that year and as great as Steve was I think he would tell you his average would have been lower without Big Bob. God bless him.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”