Yet another reason I loved Al McGuire

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral

Yet another reason I loved Al McGuire

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:22 am

Golf writer Jeff Rude was describing Bubba Watson's press conference yesterday in which Watson seemed to be taking multiple not-so-subtle shots at "the media". Rude thought back to a 1978 interview he did with McGuire where Al said “People who don’t get along with the media have their heads in the sand. I figure the media was responsible for about 25 percent of my income.”

Al was always one smart cookie.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Frambo

Re: Yet another reason I loved Al McGuire

Postby Frambo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 am

Al was one of my all-time favorites. Sitting behind the Marquette bench at Schmidt in the late 1970's...my drunk buddy heckling Al all game. After many poor calls, he finally gets up and leaves stopping to high five and talk to us before he left for about 20 minutes in the 2nd half. On his return, he again stopped for a quick chat before he took his seat to close out the game.
Later, at a coaching clinic @ a Chester Road hotel, Al was supposed to be the last speaker - around 9:00. At 9:30, he hadn't shown up. He finally came in, said he had a great game going on Space Invaders that he had to finish and proceeded to give a great (and hilarious) talk. Another coach came in laughing...he had checked in the lounge and Al's initials were listed as the top score.
Mr. Neutral

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:12 am

Al was the best, a true original.

I think of him every time I listen to Gillen do a game.
xubuck

Postby xubuck » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 am

Can somebody fill in the details? Apparently he got drunk once (not unusual) and set out from New York City in a rowboat with a case of beer and some bologna sandwiches headed for Ireland.
Last edited by xubuck on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Neutral

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:58 am

Geez, buck, who hasn't done that???
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:17 pm

xubuck wrote:Can somebody fill in the details? Apparently he got drunk once (not unusual) and set out from New York City in a rowboat with a case of beer and some bologna sandwiches headed for Ireland.
a dream of many of us except he forgot the mustard.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
JKC74

Postby JKC74 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:33 pm

One of the better Al McGuire stories of all time was one he told about the days when he was recruiting for St. John's on his home turf in Queens. On a Sunday afternoon he's driving in his car with his family on an outing when he gets the urge to visit a prospective St. John's recruit at the kids home. Al rings the bell, the mother answers the door. She then asked: Is that your wife and children waiting in the car? The kids mother insisted that they come into the house and have dessert while talking with her son about SJU. Right in the middle of all this his son Allie (about 4-5 yrs old) gets sick to his stomach and throws up all over the dining roon table! Never heard from that recruit again!

Also his first game as a head coach at Belmont Abbey he made a bet that he woud buy an ice cream cone for every fan in attendance if they did not win. Al lost and was on the hook for something like 2500 ice cream cones. These two stories were related to WVXU prior to the game played at Schmidt FH in February 1971 if my memory is correct.

The coach also said that visiting Schmidt was his favorite road trip, he loved the interface with the XU pit which was always spirited and in good humor.

To quote Ralph Kramden: "When they made him, they broke the mold"
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:13 pm

For my admiration and respect for Al see my signature.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:11 pm

I met Al at the airport in Chicago back in 1989. One hell of a nice guy, talked with him for about an hour while he WATCHED my son... lol... seriously he was more interested in my 2yr old son than talking basketball, he had a blast, as did I... Dan
“Wins go on the mantle. Losses go in your soul."
Wampus

Postby Wampus » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:19 pm

A favorite memory of Al occurred when he turned TV commentator after coaching. There were many rough spots during the game for Al the rookie color man. Oust game there was an interview with two African American players from the winning team. Do not recall who the play by play veteran announcer was with Al that day, but toward the end of the interview he finally turned to Al and indicated that Al had 20 seconds to wrap up the telecast.

al said something to the effect that the two players had important things to say. if nothing else hello to the folks back home. The players just lit up. He obviously had such great rapport with players and always seemed to think of them first.

Agree tha the memories of Marquette at Schmidt are priceless when Al was coaching. Good hoops and always great clean fun.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”