D James gone

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: D James gone

Postby muskieman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm
You have to question our coaches when we only have nine players currently. Please don't tell me we can rely on transfers because our last few did not work out (besides Hankins).
I am not saying we should rely on transfers but how many kids are still left? I hope they get someone to make an impact off the bench
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:07 pm
Ditto what ‘Hops wrote, could not have said it better. Somebody help me please:
a) is there any legal maneuver within the realm of NCAA by-laws that would allow X to petition for a redshirt season for Ramsey?
b) is Ramsey fairly content with the prospect of returning or will he consider a greener pasture given Steele’s apparent inability to find him even 26 seconds a gm?
Thx
I hope the plan all along after the 5th game was to redshirt Ramsey, or X wasted a year with him. The odd thing is Steele's repeated statement when asked before conference play when Ramsey might play was, "Any game now." Very odd situation. The fact that Steele keeps going after bigs, some with underwhelming stats (offered the WSU backup sophomore center who averaged 2 ppg), tells me something is not right. Four post players are plenty, unless you can get a stud.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:13 pm
skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:34 pm
I'm beginning to have little or no faith in Steele. James was a good rebounder and shooter and should have been getting some of Carters minutes similar to the issue with Bishop. The chance of Steele recruiting a serviceable transfer is slim to none (see Bryce Moore). If the last two years were rebuilding than James should have seen more minutes especially considering Carters inconsistent play. Future recruits are going not going to want to play for a coach that chases out as players. This is not a good sign.
I was surprised he stayed a second year. He had some talent and I wish he would have stayed much like Dahmir Bishop. Ramsey and Miles will have to be impacting. Xavier is looking into Ramsey's redshirt because of injury. It has happened in the past
I really appreciated James' effort and attitude, but it was apparent his skillset was made for a lower tier league like the Southern or AAC during Musketeer Madness. Mack didn't care. He just wanted warm bodies, because he knew personnel deficits would be Steele's problem.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm
X-lucidity wrote:
a) is there any legal maneuver within the realm of NCAA by-laws that would allow X to petition for a redshirt season for Ramsey?
b) is Ramsey fairly content with the prospect of returning or will he consider a greener pasture given Steele’s apparent inability to find him even 26 seconds a gm?
Thx
I hope the plan all along after the 5th game was to redshirt Ramsey, or X wasted a year with him. The odd thing is Steele's repeated statement when asked before conference play when Ramsey might play was, "Any game now." Very odd situation. The fact that Steele keeps going after bigs, some with underwhelming stats (offered the WSU backup sophomore center who averaged 2 ppg), tells me something is not right. Four post players are plenty, unless you can get a stud.
Xavier's post players are undersized. 2 never played this year and 2 played but only one was a passable post player. Seton Hall had 6 post players and only was as tall as our tallest players. Nova had 5 post players as tall or taller than X. Creighton had 3 but they could shoot from the perimeter. Providence had 6 players for their post. I'd say X could make room for a couple more
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:34 pm
I'm beginning to have little or no faith in Steele. James was a good rebounder and shooter and should have been getting some of Carters minutes similar to the issue with Bishop. The chance of Steele recruiting a serviceable transfer is slim to none (see Bryce Moore). If the last two years were rebuilding than James should have seen more minutes especially considering Carters inconsistent play. Future recruits are going not going to want to play for a coach that chases out as players. This is not a good sign.
Hops, my biggest issue with the James situation is that his play (or lack thereof) was inconsistent. He pretty much gets no playing time then Bishop transfers before St Johns game. He then plays 26 minutes and has a decent game (except FT shooting) then doesn't see the floor again until the last three games when Scruggs was hurt. To play 26 minutes then virtually nothing. How do you know where you stand as a sub? Whether you like Bishop or not, fans were told he could be the biggest impact freshman. Granted he didn't shoot well but freshman take time. He pretty much got little time for most of the non-conference season and did play at all last five non-conference games and at Villanova.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:50 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm
X-lucidity wrote:
Thx
Xavier's post players are undersized. 2 never played this year and 2 played but only one was a passable post player. What does this even mean? Seton Hall had 6 post players and only was as tall as our tallest players. Nova had 5 post players as tall or taller than X. Nova had two post players, R-Earl and Cosby Roundtree. CR only played 6-7 minutes a game too. R-Earl isn't a traditional post player, like Ty Jones, as he extends to the perimeter and takes a couple of treys, and also midrange jumpers every game. If those three are post players, so are guys like Are you suggesting that likes like Swider, Bey, and Samuels are post players? Being tall does not make one a post player. T Jones is the epitome of a post player. Since you said they have six, I have to assume you do define those three as post players. If they are post players, I guess Kevin Durant is as well. He is 6'11" after all. Mman, I hate calling you out publicly, but you're starting to piss me off, and are embarrassing me. One more obtuse post like this, and you no longer will be permitted to put "AH's Mentor" on your business card. Creighton had 3 but they could shoot from the perimeter. Providence had 6 players for their post. I'd say X could make room for a couple more
2 played but only one was a passable post player.
What does this even mean? Also, if X needed another post guy, one who averages 2 ppg as a sophomore in a mid-major league is hardly one I'd go after. Is that who you want? As I said, iId take a stud, and there are a couple out there.
Nova had 5 post players as tall or taller than X
SM Freaking H! Height doesn't define who is/isn't a post player. If that were the case, Kevin Durant and Giannis would be considered post players. They are 7 footers after all. Nova had two post players, R-Earl and Cosby Roundtree. CR only played 6-7 minutes a game too. R-Earl isn't a traditional post player, like Ty Jones, as he extends to the perimeter and takes a couple of treys, and also midrange jumpers every game. You must be suggesting that guys like Swider, Bey, and Samuels are post players. Wrong again my friend. Again, being tall does not make one a post player. Since you said they have six, I have to assume you do define those three as being post players. Nah baby nah. Mman, I hate calling you out publicly, but you're starting to piss me off, and are embarrassing me. One more obtuse post like this, and you no longer will be permitted to put "AH's Mentor" on your business card.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:19 pm

Your reply doesn't deserve an answer but I will give you a question! How was it when Jones got in foul trouble and X had to try, mostly unsuccessfully, to cobble together a post position as dominant as Jones? It is one thing for you to be ignorant AH and another to be stupid. Don't be stupid AH
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 am

Who are the FOUR post players?
#WHYNOTX?
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:30 am

kyzrex wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 am
Freemantle
Ramsey
Miles

and i'm guessing Carter can be considered that since he is a 4?
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:34 am

longliveskip wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:30 am
kyzrex wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 am
Freemantle
Ramsey
Miles

and i'm guessing Carter can be considered that since he is a 4?
Scruggs would sometimes “post up” a player down in the lane and then shot his turnaround jumper....does that make him a “post” player? Carter would do the same thing, and then shoot a hook shot. Ramsey only saw 3 minutes the whole year, so really hard to know if he brings a post presence to the floor or not. Freemantle certainly shows some potential as a low post scorer, but also got muscled out of rebounding position quite often. Miles may well suffer from the same thing...getting muscled...we won’t know until we see him play after sitting out this year. Those of us that saw him play in HS will tell you that he certainly didn’t have the strength and bulk to compete in the low post at the BE level when he came to X. I’ve heard he has gained 20-30 lbs this year, but the jury still has to be out.

In other words, X has absolutely NO PROVEN low post player that can be counted on to defend and rebound anywhere near as well as Jones did this past year, on the current roster. They have some prospects and suspects only. I can’t imagine that this is not a concern of the coaching staff and that they are not trying to bring in someone that they feel has the bulk, strength, and size to compete against the low post players from the other BE schools. Since the coaches have seen both Ramsey and Miles compete in practice against Jones and Freemantle, if it is there decision to offer others a scholarship I’ll be very happy to bow to their more complete knowledge of the situation.
#WHYNOTX?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”