Guards= who will redshirt?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby _LH » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:00 pm

I agree that we will know more in November. I agree that Miller's judgement will be a decision I can live with. Otherwise I am not sure if I agree with all of you or not. I will say that for the most part in 10 years on XU hoops message boards that I agree with MM for the most part and I would say I probably disagree with Gary 90% of the time in those 10 years.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:31 pm

_LH wrote:I agree that we will know more in November. I agree that Miller's judgement will be a decision I can live with. Otherwise I am not sure if I agree with all of you or not. I will say that for the most part in 10 years on XU hoops message boards that I agree with MM for the most part and I would say I probably disagree with Gary 90% of the time in those 10 years.
based on what I have heard Sean's job will be real tough deciding which player will be his 1-2-3s.

Redford is the real thing from 25 feet and beyond which will draw out the opponent and he has the quickness to drive the ball and maybe get three the old fashioned way most of the time...his FT p% will help him here. when he is at the line he makes it look so easy, like the ball is on a string. He will stretch out teams and make the slashers that much more effective. While he might be 5-10.5 or 6 ft he has a way of getting to open space and if you are a defender that sits too far from him he can throw it up from the upper bowl, he seems to get his shot off even under pressure. While he has had problems with some quick guards he seems to have settled down and his shooting can take over a game like he did for a while Sunday even when they try to stop him.

Kenny is huge but it looks like he has room to fill out.. He has some nice inside moves and can rebound like a demon. He needs to stay inside because that is his game. He will not be a O threat when he starts out but I think he can score and needs to demand the ball more. Runs the floor very nicely and plays D. In a few years with the weight room at X this guy could become a monster because he has a great shoulders span. Love will be the starter because Love looks quicker and more athletic right now which is not a knock on Kenny because he is also athletic. Love looks like he has improved over last year with being more relaxed in the system and he takes up space. I would probably never play them as twin towers because Brown could team with either but if the have a hot shooter like Redford and Raymond they could rebound and stick back when those other two guys is...Redford looks like he doesn't do that too much.

Walsh very nice shooting touch and plays good team ball with a knack for Defense. Like Redfordd has a good handle on the ball. Walsh can guard the guards and has a good height advantage. He and Redford will have some battles in practice.

Holloway needs to work on his outside shot but can take it to the basket like CJ and finishes better. He may have had a few bad shooting games from the outside buthe is super quick and appears to be a good passer.

The team concept appears to work with these guys and the freshmen seem tight. They remind me of the Doellman group and the Burrell group of last year how they get along. It is hard to say they are deeper than last years team but I think they will in the long run if these guys play as hard on D as they have so far in open gym and summer league.

One last thing...D Brown looks like an NBA player and if he works as hard as he can he has to be POY in the A-10 and might make X's second poy nationally. I hope next year the theme for the basketball banquet is "were you there, did you hear, part deux"
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
xu-fanatic
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:50 am
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby xu-fanatic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:53 am

Why does no one talk about Dante? I think he's going to open a lot of eyes.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:49 am

I think we've discussed DJ's role quite a bit, but you wonder where he's going to fit in. We've got a glut of incoming PG's, and that's not Dante's position, anyway.

If DJ is to take the SG spot, will he have to beat out Raymond? Anderson? Will he share time with one or both of them?

Based on his improvement last year, I'm sure DJ will be a factor, but I'm not sure exactly where. Possibly the starting SG with Raymond coming off the bench for instant offense.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26788
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby muskieman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 am

Anderson is not a 2 guard. He is the JC type that bangs on the inside and may slash from the 3 position. Raymond possible 2 but only as a second or third option.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:06 am

I agree that CJ's not a classic SG, and he'd be my first choice for SF. But while BJ's the much better shooter, you'd like your SG to be able to get to the hole more than Raymond tends to do.

If BJ would accept coming off the bench, and still playing 20-25 minutes, that might be the best role for him.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
rickf
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby rickf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Remember that a player can be redshirted later into the season if he has not played. They may let this go for a while.
madness31
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Guards= who will redshirt?

Postby madness31 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:45 am

CJ is not a shooting guard and while you would like your shooting guard to be able to get to the hoop it is also important for him to be able to shoot. CJ did not show range last year so unless that dramatically improved over the summer he is a SF. SF can usually put the ball on the floor too so he is perfect for that position and will likely only play that position.

While everyone discusses who will redshirt it is also possible that the freshman are more ready to play than some of the guys that had limited minutes last year. These guys could resume their roles on the bench and the freshman could get the minutes.

At this point anything is possible. I'm sure we all trust Sean will make the right decision about redshirting. I could see 1 or 2 guys redshirting but it is also possible that they all dress. It would be extremely rare to have a team go 11+ deep but anything is possible so if everyone seems ready to play and Sean expects continued strong recruiting classes then maybe line-ups are dictated by match-ups. Maybe very few play over 20 minutes a game and we run all over the competition.

I just hope enough of the young talent materializes to put together a STRONG starting 5 with at least 3 back-ups that can be interchangeable with various positions. Anything beyond that is a bonus. This team has an enormous amount of potential but could turnout to be a rebuilding year. I have more faith in Sean then I've had in any other coach but no guard experience is difficult to overcome.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 698 guests